USA Recognize ‘Jerusalem’ as Israel’s Capital

2019 ias preliminary exam test series

US President Donald Trump has recognized the Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. He directed the US state department to start making arrangements to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

The ramifications of an embassy move was felt far outside of Jerusalem. It would overturn 70 years of international consensus, and, many argue, would effectively signal the end of moves to achieve peace between Israelis and Palestinians.

The United Nations Security Council has received a request by eight countries on the 15-member body, including the UK, Italy and France for an urgent meeting on this issue.

Palestinians see East Jerusalem as the capital of their own future state.

The status of Jerusalem is home to sites holy to the Muslim, Jewish and Christian faiths. Its eastern sector was captured by Israel in a 1967 war and annexed in a move not recognized internationally. Palestinians claim East Jerusalem for the capital of an independent state they seek.

Israel deems Jerusalem its eternal and indivisible capital dating to antiquity, and its status is one of the thorniest barriers to a lasting Israeli-Palestinian peace.

The Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, which has dominated Gaza since soon after Israel ended a 38-year occupation in 2005, said Trump had committed a “flagrant aggression against the Palestinian people”.

The final status of Jerusalem has always been one of the most difficult and sensitive questions in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Roughly 850,000 people live in Jerusalem — 37% are Arab and 61% are Jewish. The Jewish population includes around 200,000 ultra-Orthodox Jews, with the rest split generally between religious Zionist and secular Jews. 96% of the city’s Arab population is Muslim; the other 4% is Christian.

The vast majority of the Palestinian population lives in East Jerusalem. Although there are some mixed neighborhoods in Jerusalem where both Israelis and Arabs live, most of the neighborhoods are split.

Current Affairs for IAS Exam